Monday, October 28, 2013

We've Gone Batty In Kindergarten!

We have gone a bit batty in kindergarten...but truth be told, kindergarten in and of itself is a bit batty. :)

Some of our Batty Week I talked about in this past week's Five For Friday.

Our centers last week (and into a few days this coming week) are all batty themed.  We postponed centers two days last week because I had so many of my little kiddos out sick..7 one day!

Whole group we did a "Counting on Bats," similar to our "Counting on Apples".  I used this cute bag from Target to hold our batty numbers.  We pass the bag around, write the number we pull in the bat and then write the following three numbers.  We discuss the different strategies, backtracking a bit, using the number lines on the walls, as well as using the number lines on the name tags.  I love that the kids tell me the different strategies, and even better... USE THEM!





You can find a copy of Counting on Bats here.

We used Cara Carroll's super cute beginning and ending sounds Bats.  You find find the link to it here. In addition, you will find her "Rhymes with Bat/Doesn't Rhyme with Bat" mats.  We are loving these in centers this week.



We went batty with graphing.  Students sorted their pieces by shape and then created a bar graph to show the data.



My littles are so good at counting by 10's to 100, we practiced putting them in order.


We are counting and recording numbers from ten frames.



We also went batty over rhymes.  I created this stamping page and then pull out my stamps from Lakeshore. However, I do not see the set I have any more. I bought it a few years ago.


They stamp two rhymes and then in "kid writing" write the words they stamped.

On Thursday, I had 7 kiddos out.  I didn't want to introduce new learning with SO many students out.  So instead I wrote numbers on half sheets of papers counting by 2's.  I gave each of my kids one and the first round we put them in order together.  Then I collected them all and handed everyone a new number.  This time, I did not help and we timed how long it took them to get in order.  We played a total of three rounds and they LOVED it. So simple. Then they cut and pasted bats in order counting by 2s.



In my Five for Friday, I mentioned making a bat craft.  I gave the kids the following papers.  We cut the small brown one into the body.  We folded the big brown one in half, drew a wing, and cut two.  Then we folded each white one in half.  One was for the eyes, one was for the teeth.  I love how with the same instructions, no two bats turned out the same!  They make me smile.


Here's to another great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment