Saturday, October 26, 2013

Five For Friday (a little late)



Linking up again with Doodle Bugs Teaching for a Linky Party, just on Saturday.  I don't know about you all, but there is something about the end of the week, that I am wiped out! :)

What a week it has been learning about BATS!  My kiddos LOVE learning about them.
[1]


We started our week out by creating a "Do You Think Bats Are Creepy or Cute?" graph from Cara Carroll over at The First Grade Parade.  It was an exact split in our room.  12 of my kiddos think bats are creepy and 12 cute.  We then analyzed the data.  I love hearing the kids use math talk to describe the graph.

[2]


We read our scholastic reader about bats, focusing on finding sight words, using the pictures and beginning sounds to help with words we don't know.  We read the book together and then students buddy read.  We also did some EEKK reading/blending with our bat word slide.  Oh my word, the kids LOVED this.

[3] 


Right in the middle of the week, I got to have a super tasty dinner with my favorite little guy and his mommy from To Second Grade, With Love.  Could that face be any more adorable!?!

[4] 


I pulled out the tree map and the first words out of my of my kinder's mouths was, "There are two sight words!" and then proceeded to read them. Love this!  Another kinder said, "I think we write bats in the top box."  We have done this one other time with Apples, so I LOVE that they are understanding putting the topic at the top.

[5] 


After our graphing, and tree mapping, and reading so many books about bats, we of course had to create bats!  I gave each child a small brown square, a brown rectangle, and two white rectangles.  We first cut the bats body out of the small square.  Then we folded the rectangle in half (either direction) and drew one wing.  I taught them that when they keep it folded and cut once, they will have symmetrical wings.  Then we did the same with the two white rectangles (folding them in half).  One was used to create the eyes, the other the teeth.  With the scrap brown.  They had a blast, and they all turned out differently.  They make me smile as I walk by our room.

Have a wonderful and relaxing weekend!  I'm off to lunch with a friend.

2 comments: