Saturday, October 5, 2013

We Appled On

It has been so fun teaching my kinders about apples.  They are little sponges that just soak it all up. This coming week is early out days for 4 of the 5, for parent teacher conferences... and then FALL BREAK!  After break we'll be learning about spiders and bats, I can't wait!


I mentioned in my last post that we tasted red, yellow and green apples and then graphed our favorites.  I told the kids before they ate the other half of each of their apple pieces to use their five senses.  To think about what they hear, taste, smell, see, and touch.  They called out their words while I wrote them on index cards.  Then we sorted them according to which sense was used.  Then, a day or so later, I cut the words out and the kids glued them onto the big apple.


We had some fabulous mom helpers hang up our trees we painted on Applicious Day, and then the kids cut out their own apples and glued them anywhere they wanted on the trees.


Here are the apple windsocks the kids made during Applicious Day.  It is so fun having these hang in my room.  As a class, we discussed not pulling on them etc., because we don't want anything to ruin them/break them.  The kids have been doing a fabulous job respecting each other's creation.  I have had two different kiddos put their mouths on them [I could tell because their mouths had changed colors (ew)].



We finished up our apple centers this week.  I created most of these last year from ideas I found perusing Pinterest and Googling.  I am in LOVE for a few years now, with my Silhoutte.  I have used it to create and cut out pieces of my centers.



One of my apple centers has number cards involved and my kiddos pointed out there were doubles in each container, so I had them work together to separate the the cards by putting them in order. Boy, do I LOVE sporadic teachable moments.  Some kids made two separate lines, and some lined them up in two rows right next to each other.  I love that they worked together and problem solved ways to get this done.


Between my awesome student aide and parent helpers, the kids painted the brown trees for our Life Cycle of an Apple Tree.  Then as a class we sequenced the descriptions (they had numbers on them) and then added our blossoms (tissue paper), green leaves (punched out) and apples (also made from a punch).  For winter, we used glue and glitter to make our snow. Isn't glitter a blast?!

Roll and Record is a game in which students take turns rolling a dice and then finding and coloring that number in the picture.  If there are no more of the number rolled, it becomes the other player's turn.



Not apple themed at all but I have been doing this little sight word activity with the kids the last week and a half.  I found this idea a few years ago in one form or another, but FINALLY had a chance to implement it.  The kids "high-five" each hand on their way out and in our room and read the words.  They.love.this.  If they forget to do it, they walk back over to read each word.  I rearrange the words so that they are not always in the same order, or the same words (yay sticky tack!).

We also love to read in our room.  I couldn't help myself but take pictures as the kids enjoy books, because they are just too darn cute.

Looking forward to another day off. Love the weekends!  Then onto next week!

1 comment: